University of Patras
University Research Brochures
Research Development Office
Research Profile for
«Return to previous page
Research Group Record Title:
Laboratory of Engineering Geology
Department of Geology,Department of Geology, Laboratory of Engineering Geology
Energy and Environment
Landslides, slope stability, monuments restoration and preservation, seismic microzonation, rock mechanical properties,soil mechanical properties, natural hazards and environmental consequences, engineering geological mapping,technical works construction.
-Physical and mechanical properties of soils and rocks. Engineering geological-geotechnical investigations for technical works construction (roads, embankments, slopes, tunnels, bridges etc).
- Mapping, monitoring, remedial measures design, environmental consequences and risk assessment of landslide phenomena
-Seismic microzonation and ground zoning against seismic hazard
- Ground suitability for land use and housing. Monuments restoration and preservation of national heritage.
Name and position of staff members:
G. Koukis Professor
A. Lamabropoulou MSc Geologist
D. Soldatou Secretary
S. Koulouris Postgraduate student
S. Lainas Postgraduatye student
S. Ktena Postgraduate student
I. Blaxopoulos Postgraduate student
The Laboratory of Engineering Geology was founded in 1988. It is one of the four Labs in the Division of Applied Geology and Geophysics in Department of Geology. The Laboratory deals with engineering geology and geotechnics, in relation to various engineering works, catastrophic geological phenomena (landslides, earthquakes, subsidence and erosion problems), landslide monitoring, quality assessment of soils and aggregate materials, remote sensing and GIS in applied geology, planning of landfills, disposal of solid and liquid wastes in the geological environment, geophysics, seismology. It has highly experienced staff, fully equipped labs for laboratory testing of all types of geological formations (soil mechanics and rock mechanics), a well organised library along with a full database of landslide records, engineering geological – hydrogeological maps and groundwater data for the Greek territory, especially Western Greece.
Selected research projects:
1. Physical and mechanical parameters of geological formations in the frame of technical works construction” (2006) University of Patras
2. “Ground zoning of Karya village according to the suitability for housing” (2005) Prefecture of Achaia
3. “Ground zoning of Sami town according to the suitability for housing” (2005) Prefecture of Kefallinia
4. “Geotechnical investigation for slope stability problems of Kyparissia castle” (2005) Ministry of Environment Physical Planning and Public Works
5. “Evaluation and classification of critical parameters of soils according to their polluting susceptibility for wastes disposal” (2005) Ministry of Health and Public Care
6. “Construction of dams for surface water management in Achaia Prefecture” (2007). Region of Western Greece
7. “Engineering geological mapping of Athens basin” (2007). Prefecture of Athens.
8. " Geological and geotechnical investigations in fired damaged areas of Helia Municipality.Landslide phenomena
123. DEPOUNTIS, N., HARRIS, Ch., DAVIES, M., KOUKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N. (2005): “Application of electrical imaging to leachate plume evolution studies under in – situ and model conditions”. Environmental Geology, Springer – Verlag, 47(2005): 907 – 914.
124. KOUKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N., TSIABAOS, G., KATRIVESIS. N. (2005): “Engineering geological approach to the evaluation of seismic risk in metropolitan regions: case study of Patras, Greece”. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Springer – Verlag, 64:219-235
125. SABATAKAKIS, N., KOUKIS, G., SPYROPOULOS, A. (2005). “Quality assessment of Pleio – Pleistocene and recent Quaternary coarse grained sediments as aggregates for road construction”. Proceedings of Int. Symp. Geolinne 2005: Geology and linear infrastructure, Lyon, France
126. KOUKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N., NIKOLAOU, N., LOYPASAKIS, C. (2005): “Landslide hazard zonation in Greece”. Proceedings of the Open Symposium on landslide risk analysis and sustainable disaster management by International Consortium on Landslides, Washington, USA, 13 – 14 October 2005, Chapter 37: 291 – 296.
127. KOUKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N., SPANOU, N. (2005): «Landsliding phenomena related to major fault tectonics: the case of Corinth Gulf slopes, Greece». International Symposium on the Geodynamics of Eastern Mediterranean: Active Tectonics of the Aegean Region, 15 – 18 June 2005, Istanbul, Turkey, SS-F, 213
128. SABATAKAKIS, N., KOUKIS, G., MOURTAS, D. (2005): “Composite landslides induced by heavy rainfalls in suburban areas: City of Patras and surrounding area, western Greece”. Landslides, Springer – Verlag, 2: 202-211.
129. DRAMIS, F., FUBELLI, G., PUGLIS, C., STAMATOPOYLOS, L., SABATAKAKIS, N., KOYKIS, G. (2006): «A methodology for landslide hazard assessment». 11th International Symposium on Natural and Human induced hazards 2nd workshop on earthquake prediction, University of Patras, p.32.
130. FERENTINOU, M., SABATAKAKIS, N., KOUKIS, G. (2006): «Panagopoula: a tectonically controlled landslide in Greece». 11th International Symposium on Natural and Human induced hazards 2nd workshop on earthquake prediction, University of Patras, p.33
131. KOUKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N., SPYROPOULOS, A. (2006).Reconnaissance of scree as potential aggregate resources. The Geological Society of London IAEG 2006, Paper number 163.
132. ROZOS, D., KOUKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N.(2006). Large - scale engineering map of the Patras city wider area, Greece. The Geological Society of London IAEG 2006, Paper number 241.
133. SABATAKAKIS, N., KOUKIS, G., SPYROPOULOS, A. (2007).Resistance variation on low quality aggregates. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, 66:457-466.
134. KOUKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N., PAPANAKLI, S. (2007): «Laboratory testing properties of sandstones». Bull of Geological Society of Greece, Proc.11th Int. Congr, Vol.ΧΧΧ, 1695-1702.
135. KOUKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N., LAINAS, S. (2007): «Soil suitability estimation for housing purposes in landslide – prone areas. The case of Karya village, Patras, W. Greece». Bull of Geological Society of Greece, Proc.11th Int. Congr., Vol.ΧΧΧ, 1683 – 1694.
136. PYRGIOTIS, L., KOUKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N., (2007): Rainfall and Landslides in Karditsa county (Greece): A statistical approach, Proc.11th Int. Congr., Vol.ΧΧΧ, 1722-1732
137. DEPOUNTIS, N., KOYKIS, G., SABATAKAKIS, N. (2008): «Environmental problems associated with the development and operation of a lined and unlined landfill site. A case study demonstrating two landfill sites in Patras, Greece». Environmental Geology
138. SABATAKAKIS, N., KOUKIS, G., TSIAMBAOS, G., PAPANAKLI, S. (2008): «Index properties and strength variation controlled by microstructure for sedimentary rocks». Engineering Geology, doi: 10.1016/j.enggeo.2007.12.004.
Cooperations with other Organizations and Institutes:
1)Institute of Geological and Mineral Exploration of GREECE (IGME)
2) School of Civil Engineering, Section of Geotechnics, National of Technical University of Athens
Relevant email and URL addresses:
Research Profiles & Academic Directory
Information & communication technologies
Food, Agriculture and Fisheries, Biotechnology
Nanosciences, nanotecnologies, materials & new production technologies
Energy & Environment
Social Sciences and the Humanities
Business Administration of Food and Agricultural Enterprises
Computer Engineering and Informatics
Cultural Heritage Management and New Technologies
Educational Science and Early Childhood Education
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Engineering Sciences (Valid until 31/08/2013)
Environmental And Natural Resources Management
Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering
Material Science Department
Research Development Office
University of Patras
+30 2610 969042
+30 2610 996677
Research Development Office © 2007 - 2016
Research Committee - University of Patras